pocket frogs 2

Voting

\\Dig Deep in Chuko

lilly pie

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Christmas 2009, St George Island, FL

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

This is why we are adopting

I was born in 1969.  That makes me a child of the 70's.  I vividly remember watching the television specials that would come on one of the three channels our tv received.  They did not come on frequently.  Maybe once or twice a year but my mom, my sister and myself, we would watch.  I don't remember what agency was doing the reporting, but it was about the poor and starving children and adults in AFRICA.  I especially remember a focus on the country of Ethiopia.  I could not understand that the children with the huge bellies were starving.  My mom would attempt to explain how their tummies would swell from a lack of food.  I remember the flies.  Don't you?  I remember flies were everywhere on these impossibly thin and gravely ill children.  Africa seemed so far away, how could we help?  Even if you do not remember watching the same programs I did when I was a child, I know with the global media and access to technology in our world today, that you know the images I am speaking about.  You cannot watch the 100 plus channels of tv today, or pick up a newspaper, or attend worship at the local church without hearing about the incomprehensible poverty that children are born into when they are born in many African countries.  Thats why when I saw this youtube video of Sam and Esther today I had to post it.  It is shocking to watch!  It will make you cry!  It is real life for MILLIONS of children in Africa today!  It is so shocking because we live in the USA.  The most wealthy country on Earth.  We have access to so many government, community, and church programs that no one in America need go hungry.  We have access to clean drinking water.  If you are out and about and you are thirsty you can go almost anywhere ie. drive thru, grocery store, community center, library and get a glass of water for FREE!  Ok, so I'll get off my soap box, but for those of you who are still trying to understand WHY we are adopting from Africa? this is why.  Spend the 9 min and watch the video of Sam and Esther. I hope God gets into your heart and your head like he has ours and that you are never the same.  I hope like us HE totally ruins you and that this injustice will, "not be okay with you."  I highly recommend these two books, It's not okay with me, by Janine Maxwell and Dangerous Surrender, by Kay Warren.    If you are ready to stop changing the tv channel, or putting down the newspaper, when you read or hear something that makes you feel sad or uncomfortable, and if your are ready to do something to make a difference in this world then these books will help guide you.  Believe me when I tell you that I am not asking you to adopt from Africa.  That was my calling but God has a calling for you too.  Maybe it is helping get clean water to those who need it, or sharing the gospel with those who haven't heard, or offering friendship to an elderly neighbor, mentoring a new mom, etc.  Ask HIM to reveal to you what HIS plan is for you, where He needs you?  You will never feel more alive or feel as close to the LORD than when you are serving HIS people.

3 comments:

Upstatemamma said...

I remember those images. I am a child of the 80s but I still remember the images. And we cannot do enough but I heard this a few weeks ago, "I cannot do all the good the world needs but the world needs all the good I can do." God Bless you and your family.

The Andersons said...

so well said, Michelle. we are right there with you.
blessings.

The Andersons said...

Hey Michelle - our friends in ET right now meeting their 4 children. They are trying to update their blog but haven't been able to so far. She said to keep checking. Right now, the only way she is communicating is on Facebook.